Our Mission Statement ~ First Congregational Church of Stamford (United Church of Christ), is an inclusive Christian community dedicated to following and sharing the teachings of Jesus Christ, encouraging spiritual growth through worship, education, and outreach. We welcome and celebrate individual interpretation of our faith in covenant with God.
Our Vision Statement ~ We aspire to be a community drawn together by God and inspired by Christ’s courage, that:
▪ Lives by faith,
▪ Practices radical compassion,
▪ Affirms all God’s children,
▪ Embraces transformation of ourselves, our church, and the broader community, and
▪ Nurtures spiritual growth in ways that speak to a changing world.
Our Declaration of Faith
▪ We believe in the one living and true God, perfect in power, wisdom, and love, revealed to us as our Creator by Jesus Christ, God’s Son.
▪ We believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who in his life, suffering, death, and resurrection manifested God’s love for all, and showed the way of redemption through the repentance for and the forgiveness of sin.
▪ We believe in the continuous presence and leadership of the Spirit of God in the Church and in the world.
▪ We accept the Bible as the supreme revelation of God’s nature and will for us, and as a source of our knowledge of Jesus Christ, the foundation of our faith.
▪ We grant to one another liberty of individual interpretation of the deep mysteries and teachings of the Bible and the Church, only requiring that, as members of this church each shall strive to live in the spirit and according to the teachings of Jesus Christ.
▪ We believe in the essential unity of Christendom, and we labor for the fuller realization of the kinship of all people in the worldwide Dominion of God. We affirm that Christ is our Savior, and rejoice that we are all one family.
Our Open and Affirming Statement ~ Whoever you are, wherever you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.
At FCC Stamford, we seek to live out the call of Jesus to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind . . . (and) love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39). In our Declaration of Faith, we proclaim that as a community of faith, we work together “for the fuller realization of the kinship of all people . . . and rejoice that we are all one family.”
Guided by these principles, as a congregation we voted in 2007 to demonstrate our commitment to loving our neighbors and to rejoicing in all people as the family of God by declaring ourselves to be an Open and Affirming congregation. By God’s grace, we seek to be a congregation that includes all persons, embracing differences such as but not limited to sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, gender, age, and mental and physical ability, as well as racial, ethnic, or social-economic circumstances or background. We welcome all people, no matter who they are, no matter where they are on life’s journey, to share in the life and leadership, ministry and fellowship, worship, sacraments, responsibilities, and blessings of participation in our congregation.